Wrist Hand Orthosis Care
Mobility is one call away!
Get a free consultation.
Wrist Hand Orthosis (Who) Use And Care Instructions
A Wrist Hand Orthosis (WHO) might also be called a wrist or hand brace. It is custom fit or molded and used to support weak muscles and immobilize or limit the motion of joints. You may require some or all of these functions. These braces may be made of thermoplastic, canvas, metal or a combination of these materials.
Please read the following instructions for wearing your brace and add any special instructions given to you by your physician or orthotist.
How to use your Wrist Hand Orthosis?
- If your brace is made from thermoplastic material, you will need to wear a cotton sock between your skin and the brace. Your orthotist may have provided you with a special sock to wear. A sock will absorb perspiration and help to protect your skin.
- Check your wrist and hand for any red pressure areas when you remove the brace. Any reddened area that does not fade after 20 minutes should be watched carefully. This is especially important for patients who are diabetic or have poor sensation.
- Do not become discouraged if you feel an adjustment is needed. This is not unusual. A minor adjustment might be needed to ensure a good fit.
Call your orthotist to discuss this.
How to care for your Wrist Hand Orthosis?
- Clean any thermoplastic sections at least once a week using mild soap, and rinse well to remove soap residue.
- Follow any washing instructions on the tag sewn into a canvas brace.
Important Notes About Your Wrist Hand Orthosis
It is VERY important to keep any follow-up appointments made by your orthotist. We are here to help you and make your experience with Synergy as pleasant as possible.
For questions or to schedule an appointment, call Synergy at (866)-203-9810. We look forward to working with you!